VISITING STUDENTS INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
The Internship Programme is conducted by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) with the aim of promoting interest in Scientific Research among other Institutions/University/College students. Candidates selected for this programme, will work on specific projects under the supervision the academic staff members of IIA. This programme runs throughout the academic year, except during May – July when IIA conducts Summer School Programmes.
Important Updates :
If the proposed starting date of your project is :
1 Sep -- 31 Dec --> apply on-line during June-July
1 Jan -- 31 Mar --> apply on-line during Sep-Oct
1-30 Apr or 15 July -- 31 Aug --> apply on-line during Dec-Jan
We cannot offer starting dates during May- mid-July because of our Summer Programme.
● Select the project duration and application time slot appropriately.
● Any false or misleading information will lead to rejection of your application or immediate termination of the project, as the case may be.
● Referees will be contacted for recommendation letters only in case of short-listed candidates.
● Additional documents may be requested from the candidate.
● Only those candidates who are selected will be informed about 15 days prior to the starting date of the project.
● The programme is very selective -- we receive applications far in excess of the available projects. We regret that we cannot reply to individual queries on the selection.
Category of Students:
I. Course projects:
Students who are in the final year of B.E/B.Tech/M.Sc/M.Phil/M.Tech can undertake their final year project work towards partial fulfillment of their degree course in IIA. The duration of such projects can be from 6 to 9 months.
II. Short-term projects: Students who are in the pre-final year of B.E/B.Tech/M.Sc/M.Tech or final year B.Sc. or within 6 months after the completion of their B.E/B.Tech/B.Sc/M.Sc/M.Tech, can undertake a short-term project at IIA. The duration of such project is from 6 weeks to 6 months only.
III. PhD students from other institutions:
Students who are doing their PhD in other Institutions/Universities/Colleges can visit IIA for collaborative work with IIA faculty. The total duration of this collaborative visit must not exceed 3 months in an academic year.
IV. INSPIRE/KVPY fellows:
Students with INSPIRE/KVPY fellowship can undertake short-term projects with IIA faculty. The duration of the project is from 6 weeks to 3 months only.
Students who have submitted their PhD within the last 6 months can visit IIA for a period not exceeding 6 months. They will be given stipend from IIA only if they are not getting funding from any other sources.
Consistently good academic record with more than 55% marks in Mathematics and Science from 10th standard onwards.
(i) Students under this programme are selected under the following two categories:
(A) Without Stipend & (B) With Stipend.
(ii) Stipend of Rs. 10,000/ per month (pro-rated) given to students of category-B selected for internship at IIA Bangalore campus but no accommodation provided.
(iii) The student selected for IIA field stations with category-B are given Rs. 5,000/ per month (pro- rated) and accommodation may be provided depending upon the availability.
(iv) Return travel fare by second-class sleeper/bus from the place of residence/college to IIA at the time of joining given to students of both categories.
(v) Students of both categories are eligible for subsidized food in IIA canteens, access to library and computing facilities.
(vi) Local students, who are permanent residents of Bangalore City:
College students, who wish to pursue the projects related to their degree courses, are not given any financial assistance.
Students who have completed their degree courses in recent past (within 6 months) are given stipend of Rs. 5000/- per month if they are working at IIA regularly, and in some deserving cases full stipend may be given if staying in PGs/hostels.
(vii) Candidates who are INSPIRE/KVPY fellows/PhD students from other institutes and getting external funding/fellowship will not be given stipend and travel support.
Terms and Conditions:
1. Towards the end of the tenure, the student must present a seminar and submit a project report signed by the mentor to BGS. This can be held in the last two weeks of the tenure. The mentor must arrange for the seminar and BGS must be informed about the date and time about ten days in advance. Representatives of BGS or a committee set up by the BGS will attend the talk and go through the report and evaluate the work. For candidates who fail to comply, the final payment of fellowship will be withheld, and the mentor may be restricted from taking new interns for next 6 months.
2. During the course of the project work, if the performance of the student is found to be not satisfactory, his/her fellowship will be terminated at any time.
3. Extension can be requested subject to satisfactory performance of the student. The total tenure, including the extension, should not exceed six months, except for the cases where the student is self funded or the project is part of a course extending more than six months. Such request for extension must be made at least three weeks prior to the completion of the current tenure.
4. The presence of the student in the institute is strictly needed on all working days except the cases of course related projects. They are encouraged not to take leave except under exceptional circumstances. They should inform the BGS and their guides about taking leave and the reason for it.
5. All queries related to projects at IIA (with or without support) be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.